Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Who Owned the Pot in Crowd? What to do in a Mass Bust

 

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/authorized/why-did-i-get-an-mip-for-a-substance-that-wasn-t-m-4958744.html?utm_campaign=question_notify_immediate_pro&utm_content=answer_jd&utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification

 

Why did I get an MIP for a substance that wasn’t mine and I wasn’t consuming?

I was outside saying by to my friends sister and a cop walked into the back yard and said it smelled like weed he proceeds to walk around with his flashlight and find a container that he claimed had marijuana in it. I told him it wasn’t mine and I wasn’t using the substance but didn’t say whose it was cause I didn’t know myself. The officer gave all of us an MIP and left the scene without telling me anything that was happening.

 

Answer by Jay K. Nixon, Criminal Defense Atty. with offices in Kenosha & Janesville, WI, with 41 years of experience:

 

Once you get to trial, the officer's opinion is just another voice in the crowd,, and an opportunity for both you, the officer, and others on the scene to tell their stories, and if the government can't prove the charges to the satisfaction of the judge after hearing both sides, the charges should be dismissed. Either way, however, you only get on chance at a trial, so you should make the best of it by retaining experienced criminal defense counsel as soon as possible. There are no "do overs," in criminal law, so don't blow your one chance to defend the charge in a misguided attempt at a pro se defense, which is very likely to end badly for you.

No comments: