Monday, August 31, 2020

Teenagers Contributing to Grocery Bill and IID Exceptions in OWI cases

 

https://www.avvo.com/attorney-answers/53548-wi-jay-nixon-1529181/answers.html

 

I’m 16. My dad has been having some personal issues with me, the blame falls on both of us. however he doesn’t see that. so now he’s saying that I have to fix it, and until it’s fixed I have to pay him $100 dollars a month for food, clothing, laundry etc. The issue is nothing that I broke, it’s just relationship issues. No I did not damage any property or anything, he and I just collide a lot with our opinions and he expects me to fix it, this is his way of forcing me to do so. I’m just frustrated because I’m trying to save for college, and that’s roughly going to take $2,100 away from my college fund. So is he legally allowed to charge me, even though I’m a minor?...

 

Jay’s Answer (Atty. with 40 years’ experience and offices in Kenosha & Janesville, WI)

 

Merely "asking" you for a contribution, if you can afford it, is certainly legal. A better question is "what will happen if I don't pay?" Throwing you out of the house for not paying would give you the option to seek help from the government, such as placement in independent placement under a CHIPS order in some sort of alternative living facility, under the supervision of a caseworker, for the which government would seek reimbursement from your father. Throwing out a minor without providing some other option could also make a parent liable for charges related to neglecting a person who is their legal responsibility. Either way, however, if you have an income that is significant, then requesting a $25. per week contribution towards groceries and housing, like the contribution you describe, is completely reasonable and such a tiny fraction of the actual cost of supporting you that you should not complain about it. Investigating the costs of renting your own place and buying your own groceries would be a great exercise for you, which would help you gain perspective on this issue. If you were truly aware of all those costs, my guess is that you would happily pay $25 per week or perhaps even offer a bit more, since this is probably less than 10% of what you would need to support yourself on your own.

 

 

IID Exemption Question

 

Hello My 76 year old father had a dui many years ago that he did not do anything about. He wants his license and did an assessment and said he was low risk. The DMV required him to get an IID installed. He is not in the best of health and is un...

 

Jay’s Answer

 

IID waivers are rare but sometimes possible, and medical problems are probably the best reason. Proving in court that he cannot blow into an IID breathalyzer, however, might be difficult and would require very detailed testimony from a doctor. Depending upon the prosecutor, there might be a way to get by with a sufficiently detailed letter from the Doctor, but either way, this will be an uphill battle for you Dad, especially if unrepresented. Instead, if his heath is that poor, he might want to start looking at alternate forms of transportation, such as ride sharing services online, which he will probably need regardless as he ages.

No comments: