Friday, August 21, 2020

Speedy Trial Demands

 

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/authorized/how-do-i-go-about-speaking-with-a-prosecutor-about-4959631.html#answer_10090423

 

My trial has been getting pushed back over and over the last 3 years and I want to go to trial already when can i?  I’m innocent on a case and I want it to go to trial so I can win but they keep pushing the date back

Jay’s Answer (Jay K. Nixon, Criminal Defense Atty. with Offices in Kenosha & Janesville, WI)

I'm guessing that you are represented by counsel here (if not you should be), so check if anything is preventing the trial on your end, i.e. discovery or motions you need or new attorneys needing to get up to speed. Even with the pandemic, the biggest cause of delay is by far is still defense needs, rather than anything the government is doing. Assuming your attorney has all that, however, everyone should think twice before going to trial, since at least 95% percent of trials are won by the government. Consider the downside of conviction before you spin that roulette wheel, since the odds of winning are much lower than those of getting either red or black.

 

How do I go about speaking with a prosecutor about an unnecessary acceleration ticket?

I got a ticket for unnecessary acceleration. I didn't take off that fast and never went over the speed limit. I've been driving for over 16 years and never pulled over once before this. Do I need to talk with the prosecutor before my court date or on the court date? I would like to contest the ticket and get it reduced or removed so it is not on my driving record.

 

Jay’s Answer

I've had clients tell me that Waukesha prosecutors have a policy of not speaking with individual unrepresented defendants outside of court, regardless of the type of charge, and they are not the only county with this type of policy. If you are serious about getting the best possible deal, even on your traffic ticket, you should therefore retain counsel as soon as possible.

No comments: