Thursday, September 17, 2020

OWI Arrest Based on Citizen Complaint

 

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/authorized/dui--does-being-reported-by-a-citizen-automaticall-4983248.html#answer_10122093

DUI. Does being reported by a citizen automatically give an officer reasonable suspicion to pull you over?

I was driving to my destination. I turned on to the street of my destination when I noticed a police cruiser tailing me. I continued to drive at the speed limit and within my lane. I feared that I would be pulled over before I reached my destination, but it wasn't until I reached my destination, safely and legally parked, and turned off my car, that the officer turned on his emergency lights. I'm not sure if that is relevant or not but I wasn't prompted to pull over by emergency lights. I was parked at my destination when he decided to turn on the lights. The officer told me that he got a report that I allegedly almost hit a car and that’s why I was "pulled over". So my question is, does simply receiving a report from a citizen constitute reasonable suspicion to be pulled over? I don't know much about the law but isn't that called "Hearsay"? By the time the officer began to tail me, I committed no traffic violations. Which is why I'm assuming he didn't turn on his emergency lights until I parked. I can't afford an attorney so I'm just trying to figure out if I should even bother fighting this case at the risk of a more harsh sentence. Any information helps. Thank you.

 

Jay’s Answer

If you stopped at your destination on your own before the officer confronted you, then you were not technically pulled you over. Observing you while parked or walking on a public roadway would then require even less probable cause the pulling you over while driving, and if the officer then next smelled alcohol, he wouldn't even need to citizen complaint to justify checking further, and then in eventually arresting you, if impaired. There is caselaw on law enforcement's duty to verify citizen complaints with their own observations. While required, they needn't do much more than observe on their own to see if at least a few of the details are true. For example, that a car roughly matching the description of yours was on a certain route of travel at a certain time, etc. They will also usually follow you if possible, to try to spot bad driving on their own, again, regardless of the citizen complaint. Either way, we are not supposed to give you legal advice on these websites, nor do we have nearly enough detail here to do. Instead, you should retain an experienced criminal lawyer as soon as possible for the best outcome available to you. Be aware that many of your rights expire in as little as ten days from when you were cited drunk driving cases, so time is of the essence.

No comments: