Thursday, September 9, 2021

Following too Close on a Jet Ski or Boat

 

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/authorized/what-can-i-do-if-i-hit-someone-on-a-jet-ski-and-hu-5344686.html?answered=true

What can I do if I hit someone on a jet ski and hurt them and my insurance company only covers so much can I file bankruptcy?

Can I file bankruptcy if I was at fault in an accident and my insurance company only pays so much a guy stopped real fast on a jet ski and I couldn’t stop fast enough and hit them causing damage to their jet ski and one person’s leg really bad my insurance company will cover 300,000 but that’s not enough IF they sue to get more can I file bankruptcy and have it cleared

   1 attorney answer

Jay K. Nixon    Avvo Rating: 10 

Chapter 13 Bankruptcy & Criminal Attorney in Janesville & Kenosha, WI

Accidental injuries are generally dischargeable in bankruptcy, but not so much if you were either intoxicated or unusually reckless in causing them.   Following too close, "rear-ender" type collisions, whether in a boat or in a car, informally 100% the fault of the rear vehicle, since you have full responsibility to leave enough of a gap between vehicles to permit a safe stop.  For boats, which lack brakes, this needs to be a lot further than following in a car, with brakes.   Since you hit another vehicle which did not have breaks either, you were probably responsible.  Therefore, your liability sounds very difficult to contest.  Either way, however, if your insurance is looking insufficient in any respect, you are in dire need if independent legal advice on your option, which might include addition other insurance companies to the lawsuit, or other parties who were potentially at fault.    In addition to that, however, you need to consult with a bankruptcy attorney as well, and we all wish you the very best of luck!

 

No comments: