Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Clearing up a WI Bench Warrant from out of State

 https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/authorized/how-can-i-clear-a-bench-warrant-in-wisconsin--5337460.html?answered=true 

How can I clear a bench warrant in Wisconsin?  I lived in Wisconsin for a year, and while I was there I got a traffic infraction that resulted in a court date. By the time the court date came I was already back in Florida. I just realized I still have a bench warrant there and I need to get it cleared for professional reasons. I was told that I have to show up in person. That would mean flying up there, which is not feasible as I have small children. Is there another way to take care of this?

Jay K. Nixon; , Avvo Rating: 10 , Criminal Defense Attorney in Kenosha, WI  

You need to retain a WI Attorney to schedule a court date or resolve the matter in some other way. That attorney will likely have far better luck than you with this, and potentially avoid the need for you to return from Florida to WI. Bench warrants are general forever, otherwise, and the passage of more time is hardly likely to improve the situation. You also face a new charge of bail jumping for not going back to court, which needs to be resolved, but which resolution is highly "doable" with the right expertise at work for you.

No comments: